I saw this recipe on Pinterest last fall before tailgating season began. I knew from the title and glancing through the ingredients, that I would have to make it.
"Man Dip" (2 qt./large crock pot size) This could easily be halved!
2 lbs. sausage. (We use 2 lbs. of hot sausage. You can adjust heat with 1 hot and 1 original or 2
4-6 strips of bacon, cut/slice into bits.
1 small onion chopped, or onion flakes
1/2-1 green/red pepper, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped, seeds to taste
2 cans Rotel tomatoes, drained (again you can adjust the heat with these, we get the hot ones)
4 pkg. cream cheese (this just helps it go a ways. This dip has always gone really quick, which is why we make so much. Adjust to the size of crowd your feeding.
Sour cream (not sure this really does anything, but we put a dollup in the first time, the dip tasted great, so we haven't stopped.)
Crock pot & crock pot liners, optional
- Take cream cheese out of the fridge so it is easier to work with later.
- Brown the sausage. I use kitchen shears and cut bacon and cook it along with the browning sausage. Drain.
- While the meat is cooking, I chop up the veggies. Onion flakes save the eyes, so if I have any on hand I opt that way. I chop up the peppers and get them ready. My husband is more of a meat eater than vegetarian, so he makes sure I don't put too many veggies in.
- Once the meat is browned, and drained if needed, I add in the peppers and onions.
- Next, I add in the drained Rotel tomatoes. I like to let this mixture simmer for awhile.
- This next part is up to you:
- I like to use my crock pot with crock pot liners (truly a Godsend. Seriously!!) While I preparing everything else, I put the cream cheese in on low, (for easier stirring later)
- OR you can have a big pot to put the cream cheese in on the stove. Either is fine!
- Pour the meat/veggie mixture over the cream cheese. Stir together. Add a spoonful of sour cream if desired.
- Devour. Best served warmed.
|Browning the meat in my "K-State's my life.. and life is good shirt" Perfect for tailgating :)|
|Starting to add some of the veggies.|
|Adding the drained Rotel as well.|
|I put the cream in the pot and put it on low to soften more and make it easier to stir. (I now like to use my crock pot instead).|
|Mix the cream cheese and mix/veggie mixture together.|
|Mix into a creamy, spicy, goodness.|
|This brave soul was the first to try out our creation.|
|I think he tasted victory!!|
If you have a recipe you'd like to link up (pictures aren't necessary) please do so! If there is something from Pinterest you've been wanting to try, or a great restaurant recommendation I'd love to have you join in! The linky is open all week so feel free to link up at any point!!