5 for Saturday : Back to School Edition

Hello again friends. I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for her 5 for Friday. I know it's Saturday, but it has also been the first week of school. So I hope that's a good excuse for the delay. Lots of pictures and stories follow!

fiveforfriday2

1.

I started my first week of school with the kiddos on Tuesday. After anxiously awaiting all summer to meet my homeroom students, the day finally arrived. The night before, I prepared a small gift. Unfortunately, I forgot to snap a picture at the start of the day.

The picture belongs to the wonderful Teri at a Cupcake for the Teacher. If you click the picture you can get the same freebie tag that I used!

2.

Thanks to my BBB, Jivey, my students had a fun time sporting some cool shades on our first day. We talked about our goals for the school year. What a great project from a fun freebie!


3.


My husband is the bomb.com! He sent these beauties to school and they've been smelling and looking good all week! Love the flowers and my hubby too :)

4.

Jivey, helped me out on day 3 as well. Our first two half-days were strictly homeroom. Thursday and Friday were devoted to homeroom switches. For my activity, I did "Saving Fred" an activity Jivey shared a couple of weeks ago. 

The kids LOVED it! It was a great teamwork activity. I heard from the other homeroom teachers that my activity took the tops with the students... so you know it has to be good.  Click here to get the PDF for the activity.




5.

We also talked a lot about expectations and rules this week. I took a few buzzwords (and a few of these key words are areas that this class really needs to work on--we are a very chatty crew.) I started each poster with a focus word and gave each table group a specific color. Students were to write down what the words looks and sounds like in the classroom/lunchroom/recess. After a couple of minutes, the poster was rotated to another table.


This display has been nice to point back to throughout the week, especially with our never ending chatter. Check out  the first line in orange :)




And because it's been forever... and my teaching friend across the hall had such a cute display, I thought I'd share a picture from her room as well. 

Students wrote about some of their goals for the upcoming year in a fun display!




It's been a fun, exhausting week. Chatter or not, I am truly excited for all that this school year will hold! 


6 comments

  1. Glad you had such a great week! I love the fun ideas you've shared. Stay consistent and keep reminding them of the Respect rule THEY wrote about not talking when others are talking. Helping them take responsibility makes them take ownership for their behavior. Keep up the good work!
    p.s. I casually showed my hubby the picture of the flowers your hubby sent as a "subtle" hint :)
    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good hubby! My partner across te way had her students do their goals that way too! What a great idea:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, you did have a busy week! My group is pretty chatty too-we will have to devise a plan to conquer!!! haha We also did the Save Fred activity and my kids went crazy! They loved it! How sweet it your husband to send flowers??!! Glad you had a great week!
    JoanneHead Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had such a good start! The flowers are beautiful!!!!!! Gotta go check out the saving Fred activity. I'm intrigued. I missed it when Jivey posted it... don't know how. I lived in bloggyland all summer. LOL! Have a great 2nd week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great start to the year! I love all the pictures you share!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you thank you for sharing the Save Fred activity- I'm going to make my 7th graders do it the first week. Amazing!

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I also like to reply by email (so you can see my response). Please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings so you can see my reply or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!!