History Fix- Writing & History Lessons

It's been a lazy, rainy afternoon in the Whitehair household. My to-do list has been a mile long for awhile now, but the weather today made for the perfect accompaniment to a movie afternoon with the hubby, so that's what we did. Now I'm off to try to knock a few things off that list, but not before linking up with Amanda & Stacia for their mentor text linky! {It's Amanda's birthday too, so be sure to head to their blog and leave her some birthday love!}


A quick blip, from my friends at Amazon:
Clover's mom says it isn't safe to cross the fence that segregates their African-American side of town from the white side where Anna lives. But the two girls strike up a friendship, and get around the grown-ups' rules by sitting on top of the fence together.
It's a simple, but powerful story, that opens the door to talking about civil rights and racism.

This last year, one teacher I co-taught with introduced me to WritingFix a website full of great lesson ideas, a few of which we used/tweaked to switch things up. Today, as I was wracking my brain for a book to share, I stumbled upon another part of this website: HistoryFix.

A sister site to WritingFix, HistoryFix combines history topics with potential writing prompts. Almost 30 book and lessons are currently posted. Worth a look during plan times :)The Other Side is included in one of the lesson ideas and can be found here.



3 comments

  1. I love The Other Side, such a powerful book. I use the Writing Fix, but have never heard of History Fix. Thanks for sharing! Hope you enjoyed your lazy Sunday. I know I've enjoyed mine!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read this book but I have heard that it is really powerful! I have never heard of writing fix or history fix so I will definitely have to check those out as well!

    I'm glad you had a restful day! Thanks for the birthday love!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a greater book. Thanks for the tip on the website, definitely going to spend more time checking it out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I also like to reply by email (so you can see my response). Please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings so you can see my reply or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!!