Eating, Drinking, & Linking: Cookies & Fourth of July Foods


Happy July everyone! I still cannot believe that it's already July. Craziness. I guess time really does fly when your having fun.

I enjoyed looking at and pinning many of the recipes last week. I'm so glad this summer feature is starting to take off a bit. If there is a recipe you've pinned, a family favorite, or even a restaurant you've been to and want to share your welcome to join in all week long!

Onward to my food filled post! 


First up... I left a teaser earlier in the weekend from some harvest treats, so I'll share those first. Both the Chocolate Chip cookies and the  Chocolate Reeses cookies recipes came from Picky-Palet. A great website full of many meal ideas, {but in all honesty I've only tried the desserts. All that I have tried have been quite tasty!}


Soft Batch Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
When baked, they live up to the name. Taste better than the Betty Crocker quick mixes. The dough is super tasty too (raw egg and all. I live on the side of danger when it comes to cookie dough.)

Ingredients
1 stick butter, softened
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 t. cornstarch <---the ingredient that makes all the difference!
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 c. chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350* degrees. Line a cookie sheet with slipmat or parchment paper.
 (Side note... I really do like using parchment paper. Clean up is a breeze and nothing sticks).
2. Cream butters and sugars with a mixers until light and fluffy, a good 2 minutes. Add egg then vanilla beating to combine. Add flour (I add a little bit at a time to make sure that the dough isn't too dry), cornstarch, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Mix until combined.
(Side note...try to restrain yourself from eating raw dough, fail. Enjoy a good bite or two of cookie dough.)
3. Scoop onto a cookie sheet. Press down to flatten slightly. Bake 10-12 minutes. 10 for softer cookies, 12 for more browned cookies. Let cool on cookie rack.



Now for cookie recipe #2. Super simple. Hardest part is unwrapping all of the Reeses.

Chocolate Cake Reeses Peanut Butter Chunk Cookies

Ingredients
1 box devils food cake mix
1 stick butter, melted (if dough is too dry add up to 2 more T. melted butter)
1 egg
2 c. chocolate chips
25 mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, (smush them up in a ziplock first so they are easier to work with)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or slipmat.

2. Place all ingredients into a large bowl until combined. (Sometimes easier to mix with hands.)

3. Scoop onto baking sheet placed 1 in. apart. Bake for 13-15 minutes until cooked through. Cool on cooling rack.


Now for a few ideas for the 4th of July.

First up... I saw this pin and it's happening for our 4th of July get together!

Source: repinly.com via Christy on Pinterest


Second, one of my best friends and I made "walking margaritas" last year for our 4th of July BBQ Bash. They were a big hit and pretty simple.

Walking Watermelon Margarita


How-To:
Cut up watermelon into holdable pieces. Place into a shallow pan. Pour your favorite margarita mix/tequila over top. Let set in the fridge for a few minutes to overnight to soak in the goodness. Serve with margarita salt.


Last but not least... one of my most used wedding gifts. A fantastic tea maker that makes coffee in minutes that tastes just as good as sun tea. We make up several pitchers whenever people come over.


Whew. There you have it. A rather lengthy post... but hopefully you'll find something good to bake or some ideas for the upcoming holiday!

With the holiday coming up I'm having a sale! Click the picture to take a look!




6 comments

  1. Oh, these cookies look delish! And Chocolate Cake Reeses Peanut Butter Chunk Cookies sound like they could be my new favorite! Did you see my Currently? I love peanut butter. ;)

    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my tea maker too! It seemed silly, but I use it all the time. Those peanut butter cup cookies look sooooo good! I might have to try them this week:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I am totally planning on making these cookies soon!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the cookie recipes! I recently learned that I could make double chocolate cookies using that Devils Food cake mix and now I can use them to make the Reeses cookies! Yum!

    Leslie
    First Grade and Flip Flops

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fruit skewers are awesome! I can not wait to try those cookie recipes with my daughters this week. Thanks for hosting this delicious linky and for linking up your sale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cookies look so yummy!! The fruit skewers are so clever! I keep meaning to link up with you but forget to take pictures of my food creations! Ugh! Will definitely try this week. I am making a to-die for carrot cake at the end of the week:)
    Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I also like to reply by email (so you can see my response). Please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings so you can see my reply or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!!