Operation Purple

Today when I journeyed to the second school I teach at, I was able to take part in a special festivity: Operation Purple. Both schools I work at are about 40 minutes from a  military base, as such, there is a military presence in both communities.

April is the Month of the Military Child, a time to honor youth impacted by deployment. On 13 April it is the national day to wear purple (the color that symbolizes all branches of the military as the combination of Air Force blue, Army green, Coast Guard blue, Marine red and Navy blue), to show support and thank military children for their strength and sacrifice. Today, the students and staff in this building wore purple to show their support of several students with parents actively serving in the military.

After the lunch, the students sent up purple balloons with a short poem and explanation up. It was a neat site to see.






Operation: Military Kids is a national program designed to support military youth impacted by the deployment cycle...for more info about OMK in your state visit operationmilitarykids.org.



2 comments

  1. Just found your blog through Jivey's giveaway. I'm your newest follower and look forward to snooping around here a bit. :)

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a great thing to do as I'm sure there's a huge impact on kids who have family members who are deployed!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I also like to reply by email (so you can see my response). Please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings so you can see my reply or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!!